Sunday, July 10, 2011

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad


     I was slightly disappointed in this book. Perhaps it was just me, but I felt that this story had little narrative. From what I have gathered is that the story was not about the retrieval of Mr. Kurtz per se, but about how the people around Marlow act and respond to given circumstances, and the description of the general atmosphere and layout of the setting in which Marlow experiences. In taking this, I agree, from his description of his experiences, that the whole thing was him “trying to tell you a dream- making a vain attempt, because no relation of a dream can convey the dream sensation…” Like when he introduced a new character: the character did not seem human, but a machine or animal, unpredictable and having no rationality to it. The descriptions of the landscapes and settings, they too had a surreal feeling to them. “[A] touch of fantastic vanity which fitted well with the dream-sensation that pervaded all my days at that time.”
                Along with the dreamscape, I felt that what added to the lack of narrative was the lack of tension and release. Some instances I found particularly singular were when Marlow was waiting for his boat to be repaired and when there was the difficulty along the river with the natives. For the ship, he first describes his problem in waiting for days for just some rivets to arrive. Yet he never explains when they do come, he just suddenly jumps into being on the river, without any transition between. In addition, when Marlow is describing the fight, and the doubt that Mr. Kurtz is dead, he immediately jumps into his experience in the future describing Mr. Kurtz, in try to console himself of the possibility of not meeting him. The only time I felt in the whole book of a tremendous pulling and then a satisfying release was when he went to Mr. Kurtz’s Beloved, and gave her the letters. There, the climax was tangible and, I felt, most willing to be taken with and “sucked in”.
                So yes, this book was fine, but I have certainly read more profound books dealing with Human Character or in Jungle Adventure, or whatever one interprets as the purpose of the book.

5 comments:

  1. Well, the book is actually all narrative--a story within a story--designed to, perhaps, give the reader some distance from Marlowe? Or for the author to give himself some distance from a narrative that was increasingly critical of imperialism in a time when imperialism was an accepted practice. So, maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by narrative? Maybe the plot? It is not very action-packed, that's for sure!

    The dreamlike quality you describe is because he is looking back at a time and a place. He makes the "natives" impersonal because that is how they would have been seen at the time. I think your observations are valid, however, I think the era in which the novella was written is significant to understanding the author's purpose.

    Also, did you use any of the annotating strategies I asked you to try? If so, which one/s? Or did you use some other note-taking, text coding strategy? Please be sure to try out a strategy. Part of AP Literature is to help you find a way to prepare for college by trying out different ways to study and take notes. You may hate one, but like another--or hate them all, but find another way that works for you! When you read, be sure to look at style and techniques that the author uses (as well as characterization, figurative language, etc.) to get his/her point across. Overall, a nice first post! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome! And thanks for the tips, I'll try them out. I didn't take many notes worth noting, just some about me noticing Irony/Satire. I've never much liked taking notes, but I'm trying to be more active about that. Usually I don't take the time to write things while I'm reading, so maybe I'll try to slow down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate taking notes while reading too--I just want to read! So, I totally understand! However, give it a try because you'll need to do more note-taking in college and this is a good time to practice. :) It is very hard to slow down. Give yourself something to look for (like you did with irony/satire, or symbols, repetition, style choices, etc.) and note it throughout and see if there is a rhyme or reason when you finish. What's your next book?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started to read Gatsby. It already seems more fluid for me than HoD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good! Try to look for repeated images and symbols and make some connections. They aren't hard to find! :)

    ReplyDelete